Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Frequently Sick

Once again, there is so much I want to say about being sick. But I'm going to simplify the process for myself. I will bullet point what has happened while mixing in the lessons I've learned, the blessings I've seen from being sick, and the questions I've asked regarding being sick.

- Why do bad things happen to good people? Why are babies born pre-mature? Why do typically developed babies have traumatic births resulting in severe physical and/or mental limitations? Why did I go into my 20's before having severe difficulties with my mental health? Why do the innocent have to suffer? 

- The answer Heavenly Father has given me to these questions is, "Because it brings them to me." And I agree with that. 100%. I have prayed more in the last 8 years than perhaps the previous 20 combined. I have felt sadness so deep that I knew only Christ understood. I have fallen at the feet of my Savior and begged him for help. I have sobbed in the arms of my Heavenly Father many nights, seeking comfort and strength to carry on another day. When life is going well, I pray, but my prayers can take on a staleness. When life is hard, beyond what I know I can do, my prayers are thorough and take on a sincerity only pain/suffering brings.

- I have been so sick this year physically. I've had horrific colds, the flu, a sinus infection, and am currently trying to figure out a mystery illness. I miss feeling well. I miss sleeping at night and being able to breathe without coughing. I miss the energy that comes with being well.

- Being sick has allowed me to really appreciate all the things that I easily took for granted: not having a sore throat/not noticing my throat at all instead of counting down the hours until I get to take Aleve again; having a small, regular cough in the morning instead of an all day cough that often triggers my gag reflex; having a clear head, not one swirling with mucous; the amazing job my nose does at warming the air I breathe instead of needing a humidifier for weeks to do that work for me; waking up and feeling like I can handle the day instead of waking up daily and having my only thought be, "I honestly feel like I'm a thousand years old;" not having to go to the doctor all the time instead of weekly trips to some doctor.

- In the midst of all of these negatives - I still see incredible blessings, not the least of which is having insurance. My dad works so hard at his job and a huge blessing of his job is insurance coverage. I am able to get the treatment I need because he works. Another great blessing is not having a regular part or full time job. What a strange blessing, but it has been amazing to see Heavenly Father provide for me financially while still giving me time to rest and heal. I tire easily and any interruption to my system takes me a few days to recover from.

- So, you see, much good has come to my life from being frequently sick this year. Ya, it sucks. But I was told in a Priesthood Blessing that "this sickness will not last for the rest of your life. You will be able to figure out what's wrong, get the appropriate treatment, and move on. You already have more than enough trials for one person in their life and what is currently going on will not be an ongoing trial." I will reflect on that promise from Heavenly Father when I feel my worst. He knows me, He loves me, and He will heal me. I will be responsible and go to my doctor appointments, then trust that Heavenly Father is leading me to where I need to be. There are no mess ups or mistakes in His plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment