Thursday, March 27, 2014

GOOD NEWS!

:) :) :)

yes, i just came from my second neurology appt and i have some GOOD NEWS!

back in 2011, i was diagnosed with a conversion disorder because of my episodes where i would lose function of my limbs, my eyes would cross, and i would jerk. i would also fall to the floor on occasion. my new neurologist, dr harney, listened to my symptoms and said, "no, you are having epileptic seizures, drop attacks and you have a channelopothy. the chanelopothy is rare. i see about 2 or 3 cases of it a year. this is when two ions are about to communicate at the nerve level and the gate opens to let a protein enter and it over fires. this over firing causes migraines, seizures, and other 'over functions.' (the gate can also be closed and not let the protein in.)" he explained it better and in a much more scientific way but the point here is that my symptoms are NEUROLOGICAL not psychological! and now that i am on medicine (topomax) that is WORKING to treat the seizures and i feel AMAZING! it has really given me a lot of hope for my, as s would say, bright future.

also, i haven't had any drop attacks - where i lose all muscle tone in my limbs and fall to the floor - and that's really nice!

we are adjusting the amount of topomax to get it just right so i don't have any 'foggy brain' feeling or 'floating away from my body' sensations. i'm so grateful for modern medicine and that it can help me get to where i need to be.

dr harney also said that there are no restrictions on my life - the biggest being driving! yay!

i feel good about how the appointment went and he seemed really pleased with my progress :)

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, girl! I'm really happy with the news and progress :)

      Delete
  2. Rachel, that is such fabulous news! I'm so happy for you to have found this doctor. Goodness. I hope things keep getting better. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Andrea! I am so grateful the Lord led me to this doctor. Looking back I can clearly see his hand in all that has occurred. Love you too!

      Delete
  3. Rachel, I'm so happy for you! This is incredible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm very happy too and feel so blessed :)

      Delete
  4. Woohoo! Tremendous news! So happy for you. Things are looking up:) Hugs and more hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much :) It is tremendous news!

      Delete