Sunday, May 13, 2012

Peaceful Silence

"and remember what peace there may be in silence." this is a line from the poem desiderata by max ehrmann. it is a poem i dearly love and have in my home.
"silence is golden." and old saying that i do not think was referring to the color of silence, though perhaps if we were to visualize "silence" it would appear in golden streams of glory.

"let us be silent that we may hear the whisper of god." a sign hanging in my bathroom holds these words. i read them a few times everyday. do i hear god? am i silent? am i listening?

"be still and know that i am god." be still. know that god will take care of what i cannot. in my stillness be silent and listen to what he will say.

"and whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul." also from desiderata. what if i kept greater peace in my soul, leading to a stronger stillness, and a longer silence, so as to hear god's plan for me. and what if his plan was simply to tell me each day how much he loves me, how great he thinks i am doing, and how all truly is well.

something about the shower increases my insightfulness. i think it's the humming of the water running down the tub sides and a break from phones, computers, people, and the rush to be needed right away. to be needed is good. but every person needs time alone. and in the shower it came to me that i like being alone. i like to come home to a still house, a quiet nest, one that is clean and safe and comfortable. i do not want to 'be alone' forever, but for this season of my life, i am content. one day, i sincerely hope that i will find a man who's 'alone time' is compatible with mine. someone who i can see and feel near but who will not push himself on my space. someone who will respect the privacy of my space. my soul. my stillness. my silence.

yes, indeed, alliswell.

No comments:

Post a Comment